The Royal College of Surgeons building in the centre of Dublin has been home to surgeons since the 1800’s and is built on the remains of a disused Quaker graveyard. As with all historic buildings, the RCS requires regular maintenance work and is presently undergoing major refurbishment including the removal and re-plastering of the walls and ceiling.
With only four weeks to complete the work, Townlink Construction the contractors carrying out the work, brought in F.A.S.T. Scaffolds of Dublin to recommend a fast and safe system which would give continuous access to the three levels of the building.
The safest and fastest access solution
Using the Instant Span 400 double-width tower system, F.A.S.T. were able to erect an internal tower access system using walk through frames and 3m bridging platforms. The 6m high tower system has three working levels at 2m, 4m and 6m. This unobstructed system allowed the plasterers to gain access to the ceiling and all of the walls without having to move the system, making it three times faster and easier to complete the work when compared to using a single mobile tower previously.
Fast Scaffolds have been an Instant Distributor for nearly 30 years. Based in Dublin, they have a wealth of knowledge in providing access solutions, standard and bespoke and have used their expertise to develop a solid access sales and rental tower business. Some of their high profile Irish customers include Irish Rail, Wyeth Pharmaceutical, Aer Lingus, Luas and many more. Most recently, they completed a series of works in Swords Business Campus. An 8m x 8m suspended access platform was provided over workstations in computer floored call centres. The system used a combination of aluminium trussing and INSTANT platforms flown on electric hoists which left the area under the platform completely free of obstructions. They also have a great eye for Spandeck.
History of the Royal College of Surgeons
The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland was granted a Charter on 11th February 1784 giving the power to control the practice of surgery and to make provision for surgical education. In 1810 it set about educating doctors with a strong emphasis on surgery. Influenced by the standard of surgery in France at that time, they adopted the French College’s motto “Consilio Manuque” meaning Scholarship and Dexterity. In the early years the stimulus for growth was the demand for Army and Navy surgeons for the Napoleonic wars.
Over the past forty years the College has become home to the Faculties of Anesthetists, Radiologists, Dentistry and Nursing.